Monday, October 12, 2009

Movie Mondays!

Cause who does movie reviews on Mondays??

So I'm thinking this will be a weekly (maybe bi-weekly when my life is crazy) feature in which, I will review movies. Since Josh and I don't have a money tree growing in our back yard they won't always be new movies. Sometimes I'll pull out some oldies but goodies just in case you haven't gotten around to renting/netflixing them yet and need that extra push!
But today the movie review is a new movie, playing at a theater near you .... FAME! One of my college girlfriends, Amanda Lee, is in town for the month while her husband Chris does a crazy med-student rotation thing at Vanderbilt Hospital. I didn't have school on Friday and so we went to get a fabulous pedicure and to see the movie Fame!

Full Disclosure: I was worried. I was definitely excited but I was also nervous. I just wasn't sure if it was going to live up to my expectations of everything that I wanted it to be.

Thankfully, it did that and more! I absolutely loved it!! And Amanda did too! The movie takes place over 4 years (Freshman-Senior) at a Performing Arts academy in New York City. You follow the journey of about 8 students from the moment they enter with their dreams and hopes high until the final graduation performance. You get to watch their auditions, performances, and how lunch in a cafeteria turns into a straight-up musical number. Amanda thinks that that's what heaven will be like - spontaneous musical numbers - I could definitely get behind that! The movie incorporates the storyline and some music from the original while adding in artists and music that is recognizable to today's generation like John Legend, Santigold and Anjulie. (I already bought the soundtrack on iTunes!) As a theme, the movie dealt with what each of them was willing to give in order to "make it big" and, not to ruin anything for you, but not all of them make it which I actually really liked. Their teachers guide them through a lot of decisions through those 4 years and as promised in a speech at the very beginning, the school trains them to be "disciplined in their craft" not to be famous. I will say that it was weird to watch a movie like that and for the first time relate more to the teachers than to the students. It was a reminder to me of how much I love what I do and can't imagine doing anything else!
To sum it all up: Go see it! It's fun and will make you want to dance in the aisles on your way out of the theater!

-Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment