Saturday, January 9, 2010

A long time ago we used to be friends ...

Kaitlyn: The title of this post is the first line of the song that plays during the opening sequence of our new favorite TV show ... Veronica Mars!

Josh: Our cousins, Chris and Lauren Dowdy,\ had highly recommended this show to us awhile ago... but I was hesitant. Especially hesitant when I learned it originally aired on "The CW" the channel that have brought you such gems as The Tyra Banks Show, One Tree Hill and 90210 (the updated version). However, the Dowdys were adamant and we found it on sale at target for $8.99 so we went for it. What we found was a piece of television gold.

K: I wasn't really worried about "the CW" issue. I'm not as much of a snob as Josh is. But the cover just never really spoke to me. However, an entire season for $8.99 did speak to me and I was hooked after the first episode! We now own all 3 seasons and I feel like Veronica and I are BFF's for sure.

J: Yeah, they need a new art editor for the DVD boxes. But the first episode was enough to make you want more. The setting for the series is Neptune, CA, a small beach-side town that many of the rich and famous "Hollywood types" call home. Veronica, played by Kristen Bell, is a junior at Neptune High. She is also the daughter of the former Neptune Sheriff, Keith Mars, who has now opened his own private investigation business. The reason for his departure from the Sheriff dept. presents the shows underlying storyline throughout the first season. And what at first seems like another silly high school drama turns out to be a very well written and well thought out show. Wit, humor, suspense, heartache, deception and well done detective work make the show fun to watch but its the writing and impressive acting of the main characters that sets Veronica Mars apart from your average teen-dramedy tv show.

K: Like I said, I am not as picky as Josh is when it comes to my entertainment. I appreciate the Gilmore Girls and Mamma Mia just as much as I appreciate The West Wing and The Queen. My tastes are broad and varied and I make no apologies. So while I do agree with Josh that this show is written very well and the acting is none too shabby that is not the most endearing part of the show to me. I love Veronica Mars as a character. I love the fact that Veronica is not your typical high school heroine. She is not what some might think of as your "traditional teenage girl as seen on prime time television". She can and will take control. She has a quick wit and is not afraid to use it. She is smart, top of her fake high school class smart. She can kick butt and will take names. She may like you but she doesn't need you. But if she does like you she will go to bat for you any day. And if she doesn't like you ... good luck! In short, she is an empowered female and there just aren't enough of those out there right now. Look for an upcoming post on my thoughts about the Twilight series for an expanded version of that thought.

J: Yeah, so as you can see we really like this show. We watched all three seasons and enjoyed them all but season one sets itself apart. Its alot of fun. We suggest you check it out. And just to whet your appetite, here's a clip to get you started.


No comments:

Post a Comment